Where Great Britain Meets the Barbary Coast
Note: this was created in August 2018, and in January 2019 I have edited the recipe to make it even more yummilicious.
Of all the complicated alliances between North Africa and Europe, this chicken dish and the movie Casablanca have to be the best of the best.
I thought of calling this Casablanca Chicken after the movie and the restaurant that Rick ran in Morocco. However, all Rick appeared to serve was caviar and champagne.
The best of all briny dishes, Risky Chicken traverses the globe with its combination of earthy roots, olives and preserved lemons. And, bonus: you now have a recipe that makes use of turnips!
Plus, it is a paleo and Plant Paradox friendly recipe.
- 2-3 lbs of parted chicken (breasts, thighs, drums, etc.)
- 4 small turnips, peeled and halved (or quartered if large)
- 1 small onion cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths
- ½ preserved lemon, diced (you can buy this if you don’t have time to make it)
- 2 T of liquid from preserved lemon jar
- 12 green olives (or other types: kalamata, etc. I like the green ones best!)
- 4 T (1/4 C) liquid from olive jar
- 1 C chicken broth
- Olive oil (a lot)
- Salt and pepper
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub chicken with generous amount of olive oil and add salt and pepper. Add diced preserved lemon and juice, as well as the olives and their juice. Rub it all together again and set aside for a bit (1 hour+ is optimal) (refrigerated) until infused.
Meanwhile, cut your turnips, onions and carrots. Put in pan/ casserole and toss in olive oil. Lightly salt.
When chicken mix is done brining, pour it over the turnips/carrots/onion. Add the chicken broth. Place in preheated oven (350) for 30-35 minutes (or until meat thermometer on chicken reads 155). Baste once during baking. To brown, finish under broiler or for 5 minutes in 450 oven.
Let stand for 10 minutes to finish cooking. Baste all ingredients prior to serving.
This is great on day 2 with a salad of romaine and avocados with a lemon vinaigrette.