Homemade mayonnaise is so superior to its commercial cousin that it is astounding that people still buy it at the store. Really! It’s easy. You control the taste, and it lasts two weeks in the frige (if you can resist smearing it on everything and everyone). With the help of your food processor, you can have two cups of silky, rich sauce in under 10 minutes.
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2t vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1 1/2 C oil (I like a mixture of liquid coconut oil, olive oil and peanut oil)
- Use your food processor with the mixing bowl and simple top. You will use your plastic blade and your oil dispensing lid that come with the machine.
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT oil in the food processor.
- Turn on machine.
- Pour oil into the top vessel, where it will dispense in a very orderly and thin stream into the whirring mixture.
- By the time your oil is all gone (over several minutes), the mayonnaise will be done.
(No dispenser? Simply pour very slowly, just a trickle at a time.)
Now, that was indeed easy. Dip something (like your finger!) into your masterpiece and enjoy the superiority of mind that will overcome you next time you see those hapless fellow shoppers in the condiment aisle. Adjust with more salt or acid to taste.