Easy, healthful and packed with flavor, this will become your go-to tabbouleh.
I’ve been going back to my mom’s tabbouleh for decades. This never-fail recipe comes together with ease. Although, you have to plan ahead, as the soaking and marinating are necessary to develop the flavors. (This recipe is one of the Misgebotten Recipes.)
- 1 C dry cracked wheat bulgur (This makes 2-3 C if already prepared)
- 2 C boiling water
- 2/3 C lemon juice
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1 C finely chopped parsley
- 4 T finely chopped mint
- 1/2 C diced red onion
- 1 C diced bell pepper (orange is my favorite)
- 1 C chopped cucumber (take out the seeds first)
- 1 C chopped tomatoes (again, de-seeded)
Pour boiling water over the bulgur and let stand for about an hour. Drain off excess water. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the drained bulgur. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving in order to let the flavors combine.